Sider

Visdomsord

The best concise description of a split bamboo fly rod.

"a useful thing, beautifully made"
-Hiram Hawes

torsdag 24. april 2014

Feast in the woods.

Just want to share some pictures from the first real fishing this season. It's been a sunny, but quite windy and cold start of this spring, but last day something happend when the temperature were touching the +20 D.Celsius for the first time this spring.


So when rumors said that there were ants with wings flying around in the woods, it was not that hard to take a break from rod building. After all it was what I had been dreaming of ever since the last fishing trip last fall.













  
Found this ant hill right above where I'm sitting, waiting for the wind to blow the ants on the water. 







The heat from the sun really did a good job of awakening the ants.
This happens mostly in the middle of May, so this is many weeks ahead of time.















A bit skinny maybe, but a nice start of the upcoming trout season.

6 kommentarer:

  1. A good start to a welcomed time of the year.

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Brk Trt
      Can't be a better start than this.
      I think it's gonna be a very good season.....as allways.
      Best
      Jan

      Slett
  2. Lovely pictures! I love this time of the year. In my favorite little lake the trout loves ants. At that time usually flies floating low in the surface film pays off. You might have seen that I'm tying up some Leisenring Black Gnat now. Unfortunately I won't be able to fish so much this season so I wonder if you would like to try that fly out in your waters. I would gladly send some of them to you if you want. Just e-mail me your address to meo@spray.se and I'll send them ASAP.
    Tight lines,
    Mats Olsson

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Mats Thanks.
      The flies you sent me arrived to day. Nicely tied Mats, cant wait to try them this weekend.
      love those old patterns. You now Mats, we have to... "keep the tradition alive".
      Best
      Jan

      Slett
  3. Wow that's some ant hill, we usually don't see ants coming into the picture until later in the summer towards fall. Love the rise in the background of the second shot!

    SvarSlett
    Svar
    1. Mark Thanks
      This is quite early, usually the flying ants get active in the midle of May.
      Best
      Jan

      Slett